Dong-Seong (Dan) Kim
Lecturer (Assistant Professor in the North American system)
B.S., M.S., Ph.D.
Erskine Building 304
Postal AddressDepartment of Computer Science and Software Engineering,
College of Engineering,
University of Canterbury,
Private Bag 4800,
Academic GenealogyAs for my academic genealogy, my Ph.D. thesis advisor was Jong Sou Park (Pennsylvania State University, 1994); his one was Paul Thomas Hulina (Pennsylvania State University, 1969); then it runs back through Jon G. Bredeson (Northwestern University 1967), Seifollah Louis Hakimi (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), 1959), Mac Van Valkenburg (Stanford University 1952), Oswald Garrison Villard, Jr. (Stanford University1949), Frederick Emmons Terman (Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) 1924, Sc.D.) and Vannevar Bush (MIT 1916) to Arthur Edwin Kennelly (self-taught).
- COSC362 (Data and Network Security)
Graduate Courses- COSC421 (Special topic: Advanced topics in Security): link
- COSC424 (Secure Software)
Information for Prospective StudentsIf you are interested in Dependability and Security and are looking for an supervisor for your Ph.D., Master, or Honours study, please send me an email with THIS INFORMATION (click). I am always open and happy to discuss with you about the research topics. If you are looking for PostDoc research fellow or visiting scholar positions, please email me for details.
Upcoming events (Calls for Papers)
Journal editorial member
- Security and Communication Networks
- KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems
- Special Issue on "Advanced Mathematical Models and Applications in Intelligent Ubiquitous Computing (IUC)" in Journal of Applied Mathematics
International conference/workshop activities2013-2017
- General chair, The IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC) in Jan 2017, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Student paper co-chairs, The 43rd Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2013)
- Workshop co-chairs, The First International Workshop on Dependability and Security of System Operation (DSSO 2014)
- Workshop co-chairs, International Workshop on Dependable and Secure Cloud Computing Architecture (DaSCCA 2014)
Programme committee membership (selected)2015
- The 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) - Communication and Information Systems Security Symposium (CISS)
- Australasian Information Security Conference (ACSW-AISC) 2015
- The 3rd International Conference on Human Aspects of Information Security, Privacy and Trust
- The 2014 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) - Communication and Information Systems Security Symposium (CISS)
- The 9th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS 2014)
- The Second Australasian Web Conference (AWC 2014)
- The Australasian Information Security Conference (ACSW-AISC 2014)
- The 23rd Australasian Software Engineering Conference (ASWEC 2014)
- The Seventh International Conference on Dependability (DEPEND 2014)
- The 2014 Asian Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (AsiaARES 2014)
- The First International Workshop on Graphical Models for Security (GraMSec 2014)
- The 20th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed System (ICPADS 2014)
- The 20th IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC 2014)
- The 13th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (IEEE TrustCom-2014)
- The 2nd International Workshop on Reliability and Security Data Analysis (RSDA 2014)
- The 38th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN 2013)
- The annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC) 2013
- The 19th IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC 2013)
- The 12th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (IEEE TrustCom-13)
- The 6th Symposium on Security Analytics and Automation 2013 (SafeConfig 2013)
- The 4th International Cybersecurity Data Mining Competition (CDMC2013)
- The Sixth International Conference on Dependability (DEPEND 2013)
- The 2013 Asian Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (AsiaARES 2013)
- The 5th International Symposium on Cyberspace Safety and Security (CSS 2013)
- The 2013 International Conference on Cloud and Service Computing (IEEE CSC 2013)
- The Australasian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC 2013)
- The Third International Workshop on Dependability of Clouds, Data Centers and Virtual Machine Technology (DCDV 2013)
- The 5th International Workshop on Software Aging and Rejuvenation
- The 3rd international workshop on Data Center Performance (DCPerf 2013)
Recent publications (selected)Journals
- Rahul Ghosh, Dong Seong Kim, Kishor S. Trivedi, System Resiliency Quantification Using Non-state-space and State-space Analytic Models, Elsevier Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Elsevier, 2013.
- Fumio Machida, Dong Seong Kim, Kishor S. Trivedi, Modeling and analysis of software rejuvenation in a server virtualized system with live VM migration. Elsevier Perform. Eval. 70(3): 212-230, 2013.
- TaeHwan Kim, Dong Seong Kim, Sang Min Lee, Joon Heo, Source Identification of Spoofed DDoS attacks using Image Processing Approach, Journal of Telecommunication Systems, 2013.
- Rubens de S. Matos, Paulo Romero Martins Maciel, Fumio Machida, Dong Seong Kim, Kishor S. Trivedi, Sensitivity Analysis of Server Virtualized System Availability. IEEE Transactions on Reliability 61(4): 994-1006, 2012.
- Sazia Parvin, Farookh Khadeer Hussain, Jong Sou Park, Dong Seong Kim, A survivability model in wireless sensor networks. Elsevier Computers & Mathematics with Applications 64(12): 3666-3682, 2012.
- Dong Seong Kim, et al., Reliability and Availability Analysis for an on board computer in a satellite system using standby redundancy and rejuvenation, J. of Mechanical Science and Technology, 26(7): 2059-2063, 2012.
- Dong Seong Kim, Sang Min Lee, Tae Hwan Kim, Jong Sou Park, Quantitative intrusion intensity assessment for intrusion detection systems, Wiley Security and Communication Networks (SCN), 2012.
- K. S. Trivedi, Dong Seong Kim, R. Ghosh, System Availability Assessment Using Stochastic Models, Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 2012.
- Sang Min Lee, Dong Seong Kim*, Je Hak Lee, Jong Sou Park, Detection of DDoS attacks using optimized traffic matrix, Computers & Mathematics with Applications, Elsevier, 2012 (*corresponding author)
- Arpan Roy, Dong Seong Kim, Kishor S. Trivedi, ACT: Towards unifying the constructs of attack and defense trees, Security and Communication Networks 5(8): 929-943, 2012
- Sang Min Lee, Dong Seong Kim, Jong Sou Park, Cost Sensitive Spam Detection Using Parameters Optimization and Feature Selection, Journal of Universal Computer Science, 2011.
- Jin Hong and Dong Seong Kim, "Scalable Security Models for Assessing Effectiveness of Moving Target Defenses", in Proc. the 44th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2014).
- Jin Hong, Dong Seong Kim, Abdelkrim Haqiq, "What Vulnerability Do We Need to Patch First?", in Proc. the 44th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2014) workshop
- Jin Hong and Dong Seong Kim, "Scalable Security Model Generation and Analysis using k-importance Measure", in Proc. the 9th International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks (SecureComm 2013), Sep 2013, Sydney, Australia.
- Jin Hong, Dong Seong Kim, “Scalable Attack Representation Model using Logic Reduction Techniques,” in Proc. TrustCom 2013, Melbourne, Australia.
- Jin Hong, Dong Seong Kim, “Performance analysis of scalable attack representation models,” in Proc. SEC 2013, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Jin Hong, Dong Seong Kim, “Scalable Security Analysis in Hierarchical Attack Representation Model using Centrality Measures,” in Proc. DSNW 2013, Budapest, Hungary.
- Jin Hong, Dong Seong Kim, “HARMs: Hierarchical Attack Representation Models for Network Security Analysis”, in Proc. 2012 SECAU Security Congress, Perth, Australia.
- Arpan Roy, Dong Seong Kim, Kishor S. Trivedi, “Scalable Optimal Countermeasure Selection using Implicit Enumeration on Attack Countermeasure Trees,” in Proc. International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2012)
- Kishor S. Trivedi, R. Mansharamani, Dong Seong Kim, M. Grottke, M. Nambiar, Recovery from Failures due to Mandelbugs in IT Systems. Pasadena, CA, USA: 17th IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC 2011).
- Fumio Machida, Ermeson Andrade, Dong Seong Kim, Kishor S. Trivedi, Candy: Component-based Availability Modeling Framework for Cloud Service Management Using SysML, in Proc. The 30th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS 2011), pp. 209-218.
- Rahul Ghosh, Kishor S. Trivedi, Vijay Naik, Dong Seong Kim, End-to-End Performability Analysis for Infrastructure-as-a-Service Cloud: An Interacting Stochastic Models Approach, Proc. of IEEE Pacific Rim Int. Sym. on Dependable Computing (PRDC 2010), pp. 125-132.