B.Eng., M.Sc., Ph.D.
Erskine Building 202
Phone: +64 3 364 2352, Ext: 6352
Fax: +64 3 364 2569
Postal AddressDepartment of Computer Science and Software Engineering,
College of Engineering,
University of Canterbury,
Private Bag 4800,
COSC420 Intelligent Tutoring Systems
- Three of our ITSs are available on the Addison-Wesley's DatabasePlace.
- The full Windows and Web versions of SQL-Tutor, an Intelligent Tutoring System for SQL, are available.
- The Web version of KERMIT, an Intelligent Tutoring System for conceptual database design using the ER model, is available.
- The Web version of NORMIT, an Intelligent Tutoring System for data normalization, is available.
- My earlier work on INSTRUCT, Object-Oriented GIS and Machine Learning is also available.
Some recent papers:
- Mitrovic, A., Ohlsson, S., Barrow, D. The effect of positive feedback in a constraint-based intelligent tutoring system. Computers & Education, vol. 60, no 1, 264-272, 2013.
- Amalathas, S., Mitrovic, A., Ravan, S. Decision-Making Tutor: Providing on-the-job training for oil palm plantation managers. Research and Practice in Technology-Enhanced Learning RPTEL, 7(3), 131-152, APSCE, 2012.
- Mitrovic, A. Fifteen years of Constraint-Based Tutors: What we have achieved and where we are going. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, vol. 22(1-2), 39-72, 2012.
- Martin, B., Mitrovic, A., Koedinger, K., Mathan, S. Evaluating and Improving Adaptive Educational Systems with Learning Curves. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, vol 21, no 3, pp. 249-283, 2011. DOI 10.1007/s11257-010-9084-2, Winner of the 2011 James Chen award for the best UMUAI paper in 2011.
- Mitrovic, A., Martin, B. Suraweera, P., Zakharov, K., Milik, N., Holland, J., McGuigan, N. ASPIRE: an authoring system and deployment environment for constraint-based tutors. Artificial Intelligence in Education, vol. 19(2), 155-188, 2009.
- Weerasinghe, A., Mitrovic, A., Martin, B. Towards individualized dialogue support for ill-defined domains. Artificial Intelligence in Education, vol. 19(4), 357-379, 2009.
- Thomson, D., Mitrovic, A. Preliminary evaluation of a negotiable student model in a constraint-based ITS. Research, Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, vol. 5(1), 19-33, World Scientific Publishing Company & Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education, 2010.
- Suraweera, P., Mitrovic, A., Martin, B. Widening the Knowledge Acquisition Bottleneck for Constraint-based Tutors. Artificial Intelligence in Education, 20(2), 137-173, IOS Press, 2010. DOI 10.3233/JAI-2010-0005
- Tanja won the Distinguished Research Award from APSCE in 2011.
- AIED 2011 was held in Auckland, 28 June - 1 July 2011.
- Read about our new Marsden grant "Adaptive computer-based training for post-stroke rehabilitation".
- Read about our new HP Technology for Teaching grant.
- Cooperation with Peter Brusilovsky.
- We won the AaeE Engineering Education Excellence Award for Programs that Enhance Learning in 2007.
- Artificial Intelligence in Education journal
- IEEE Transactions on Teaching and Learning Technologies
- Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning journal
Editorial Board Member
- IEEE Intelligent Systems.
- IJCEELL International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life Long Learning.
- Computers & Education
- ACM COmputing Surveys
- Copmputers in Human Behavior
- IEEE Transactions on Education
- Information & Software Technology
- Interactive Learning Environments
- Annals of Cases on Information Technology (ACIT).