is an abstract base class for controls that edit a value with a textual
representation. It provides facilities for converting between the text
and internal representations of the value, for specifying minimum and
maximum allowed values, and controlling whether the value is allowed to
be empty and what representation to use for an empty value.
A Field can be in two states, editing and non-editing.
In the non-editing state, the control displays the value to which it is
linked via its ref attribute. When the user focuses the control and
begins typing, it switches to the editing state. In this state, the
text may be edited but the associated value is not yet updated. When
the Return, Enter or Tab key is pressed, or a mouse click occurs
anywhere outside the field, the value is updated and the control
returns to the non-editing state. Updating of the value can also be
forced by calling the commit() method.
Concrete subclasses of Field include TextField, IntField and FloatField.
- Field(width = None)
width may be an integer or a string, as for TextEditor. If no width is
specified, but a value for min and/or max is specified at construction
time, the width will be determined from the min or max value. If no
other way of determining the width is available, it defaults to 100.
- ref = None
- Reference to the value to be edited. See Control.
min = None
- Minimum allowable value. If None, no minimum value will be enforced.
max = None
- Maximum allowable value. If None, no maximum value will be enforced.
empty = NotImplemented
- Internal value to use when the field is empty. If set to NotImplemented, the user is not allowed to enter an empty value.
format = "%s"
- Format string to use when converting the internal representation to text. See also format_value() below.
- A function for converting from text to the internal representation. Typically a type object, but can be any callable object.
- Read only. A boolean which is true when the control is in the editing state.
- When in the editing state, causes the control's value to be updated and places the control in the non-editing state.
- This method is called to format the value for display. By default it uses the format string specified by the format attribute. You can override this method to format the value in a different way.